Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Noise

If you have extremely good hearing, you will know why I always keep my handphone ringtone down very low, and all the volume settings on my laptop and radio are always near minimum settings. Because I can hear very well, I thought that there is no need to tune up the volume, and no need to cause unnecessary disturbance to other people.

However, every once in a while, I would crank up the volume, especially when listening to some particularly nice songs. The difference is significant, and it is not merely in terms of volume. Previously unnoticed melodies would sound up in the background, blending in so well that you could almost miss them, especially if you had them in low volume. The insignificant sounding drum beat suddenly became something more, thudding my heart along to the rhythm; the violin suddenly tugging at my heart. And now you know why the singer sometimes pause, for no other reason than to bring into relief a particularly intricate turn of melody.

Then of course, at this time, I would be causing disturbance to other people, though now a necessary one.

No comments: