Friday, November 24, 2006

To go or not to go

The poll machine is broke, I think perhaps thats the reason why I havent been getting a lot of votes (another reason is that most people just couldnt be bothered with me, but that is too horrible to contemplate) so I removed the poll thingy. If you have any comments, you can freely do so below.

I am taking a poll, to see if I should go overseas for further studies immediately after graduation.

On the one hand, going overseas (America) immediately keeps the length of further studies down to the minimum, 5years. Thats a PhD with an intermediate Masters degree awarded. I dont like the Masters program at nu* too. If I do Masters here, I will have to do another 5years upon graduation of Masters too, 7years in total. Besides I have already applied for the Graduate Records Examinations which cost me $250+. Some of my profs and seniors have been encouraging me to go overseas instead of staying here. Going overseas should be fun too.

On the other hand, money is a huge factor. Despite what everybody seems to be claiming nowadays, I aint really merely saying that I am poor. My whole family isnt in good financial state, and we would have to really scrape to get the money to let me go overseas. One of my profs said its better to do MA here first, since that might enhance my chance of getting into a good uni for PhD. And its really scary to be going to a new land where everyone probably cant understand my accent (or bad english). Application forms are a headache to fill in, what with the letters of recommendation I need, masters proposal, interest statements, application fees, etc. And I might not really get into a very good US uni, though I dont know for sure.

So now what? To go or not to go? You decide. Actually, I will be doing the decision, but you can tell me what you think. Vote below, your vote will remain confidential (since I have no way of knowing who voted anyway). If you feel really strongly about me staying or leaving, you can even come back everyday to cast a second, third or fourth vote.

No comments: