Tuesday, May 09, 2006

FASS student ambassador

yah, as the title suggests, I am being made one of the FASS student ambassadors (by my prof I think). For those who dont know what a FASS student ambassador is or does, it's ok, cos neither do I. (its not an honorary post or sth fyi; its just like arrowed for sai gang.)

I thought I was to help man the philo booth during open house, and when an email came asking me to go for some tea session, with the two words "open house" included within the email, I responded favourably. As it turns out, its got very little to do with the open house. zzzz.

Anyway, it's just a talk cock session with the vice dean (Paulin Tay) and the assistant dean (Dr Chng, whom I know, and she knows me by name too), and they told us some interesting stuff.

But, there are some things you as FASS student should know (and as a student ambassador, I am supposed to spread around =_=")

1. The module preference exercise that will be held sometime in the middle of the holiday is going to replace Majors module bidding. Thats right, you indicate what module you taking next sem, and they will automatically allocate your major module to you! No need to compete for your own major modules during CORS anymore, you just need to bid for your non-major modules.

So for those who are going on holidays, or working, too busy to check your email, just remember nonetheless that you HAVE to do the module preference exercise this year. It used to be that the module preference exercise is just for the professors to gauge the class size, but now its used to allocate major modules.

Please spread the word around, and (I probably shouldnt say this but) please tell your friends who are in popular majors like Psychology; this module preference exercise is especially important for them since they usually spend most of your CORS points on their own major bidding. So remember to get it preallocated to you.

2. The Arts canteen is going to be torn down and rebuilt, taking roughly 9 months for the whole process. In the meantime, arts students have to go engine to eat I guess. It will be starting roughly in August, and that means next sem. Jeez, even though the canteen sucks, I much prefer to eat there rather than trek all the way to engine. sigh. The new canteen is supposed to be partially air-conditioned, with two levels, the upper level being the higher end stalls. But my guess is that the air-conditioned area is going to be quite small. zzz

So there, updates from a FASS student ambassador. Check this space for more interesting updates. haha.

7 comments:

kx said...

congratulations ;) =) =)

Anonymous said...

huh.. congrats? its not an award or something. just like messenger.

happiness.in.a.flute said...

Dr. Chng's my language gender and text prof! Haha she's super cool ^.^

idarhl said...

ooh, cool so you know her too! lol. yea shes very good (and she gave me an A!) lol.

fiefie said...

wUt! they are going to renovate the arts canteen for NINE MTHS?!?! oh man i think i'd bring my own lunch rather than TREK all the way and SQUEEZE with everybody over at bizad/engine canteen... what a fantastic FINAL YEAR at nus...

*~Cherie~* said...

tearing down the Arts canteen just shows how stupid NUS is. i mean, dun they noe overcrowding will occur, eso when the Arts canteen is oreadi so crowded?? when the tearing down going to start? better go there for lunch soon b4 it closes =(

Anonymous said...

they have to renovate it sooner or later i guess... its pretty old already. But maybe they should have started it during the holidays already.